WHOLE 30 IS DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
Ok now that’s out of my system let’s get real. Whole 30 is done and in the books. It was hard y’all, real hard. I’m a Texan to my core and I was tested so many times. You put a bowl of chips and salsa in front of my face, it’s over. But NOPE I didn’t cave, I was going to do this.
The trick was preparation, and cooking. You have to be prepared to cook a lot of meals yourself because if you go out to eat often it’s going to be really hard. That’s just me being honest. Now I don’t think I’m going to label this a successful Whole 30 for one reason, my cravings started to consume me!! I was going strong and the third week came in hard, all of sudden I kept thinking about all the things I wanted to eat that I couldn’t. They started to take over big time, I pushed them down and powered through. But I wasn’t able to overcome them and to me that’s a big part of Whole 30. So I think there will be another round pretty soon in my future and I’m ok with admitting it.
My key takeaways and advice going through a Whole 30:
- There is so much added sugar in our food under so many different names that it will drive you batty.
- Before starting your Whole 30 journey, you’ll want to read It Starts with Food first. You don’t have to but it will defiantly only make you smarter.
- When you eat high protein you will have to push yourself to eat your meals.
Larabar (you have to check the labels though, not all of them are Whole 30 Approved) and dehydrated fruits/veggies will be your bff’s.
- It can cost a little more when you’re grocery shopping. Protein can be expensive.
We actually saved more by buying the meat in bulk at Costco and freezing what we wouldn’t use for the week. I know each Costco varies, but ours did carry organic meats.
- Your meals can get pretty creative, and Pinterest along with cookbooks are a life saver.
I found myself cookbook shopping on Amazon a LOT! The ones I pulled the most meals from were Juli Bauer’s Paleo Cookbook and Jennifer Robins Down South Paleo.
- I need to eat more veggies and more fruit period!
- It’s smart to have at least one day a week that you don’t eat any meat aka Meatless Mondays.
- Meal prep, meal prep, meal prep! I know, I knowwwww the last thing you want to do at the end of the day is make more food. But this is going to save you big time literally. Your breakfast will be so much quicker, and you don’t have to run around pulling your hair out trying to figure what you’re doing for lunch.
- You can go out to eat, you just have to be super duper careful. Stick with plain proteins and simple veggies. Or if you live in a really awesome city I bet they will have Paleo friendly restaurants. We are kind of small town USA so we have down home country food.
What I will DO now that I’m not on Whole 30:
- I will allow myself to have a little indulgence every now and then. Life is too short to not have that cheesecake every once in awhile. Plus how will I ever be a Golden Girl without cheesecake?!?
- Bread and oats will be a minimal part of my diet for one reason, breakfast. My egg allergy really hinders my breakfast routine and no matter how many times I try the sweet potato toast trick it’s not gonna work. It’s a texture thing for me. Not to mention breakfast is my least favorite meal of the whole day.
- Lastly, I want a beer or a margarita. So if I’m out with friends I will take that drink and I’m not going to feel guilty about it. Along with a side of chips and salsa 🙂
There you have it folks! If asked if I would recommend the Whole 30 to anyone, it would be a big hell yes. It will change your life, but only for the better. Your body will also LOVE you for it.
If you have had a Whole 30 journey, would love to hear about your experience and thoughts. Sound off in the comments below.
Be on the look out for my upcoming posts on nutrition and hormones. I also joined Snapchat last week (yikes), look for the nifty Snapchat icon to your right. You’ll see posts on all kinds of happenings, cooking, and product love. You’ll want to check out my Instagram feed as well, working on great content everyday to share with you lovelies!
Until then, Stay well y’all!